Hi Dave

I've fixed it by marking pdftk for 10.4 and 10.5 only. It should not
show up in fink on 10.6.   :(   Maybe MacPorts still has it.

pdftk is an unhealthy amalgan of the java iText PDF library and a
convenient command-line interface written in C++. If the command-line
would have been written in Java instead of creating a maintenance
nightmare of compiling iText as a native library, it would be still in
Fink. The current problem is that the original code does things which
are not possible in this setup. GCC up to 4.2 ignored this, but 4.3
and higher (rightly) throw an compile error So, it can only compiled
with gcc 4.2. Apple provides a gcc-4.2 on 10.6, but it does not
provide the Java compiler. Compiling gcc-4.2 on Snow Leopard is rather
tricky, so the Fink Core developers decided to get rid of it.

More on this here: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13553

Jack Howarth mentioned a possible solution here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg18449.html
Jack: How far did you get? :)

I guess I'll also spend an evening to see, if I can just comment out
the offending code. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,
Matthias