David R. Morrison wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>> Martin,
>>    I don't follow your last statement. My understanding is that X11
>> in Snow Leopard is already preconfigured to hand off to an X11 in /opt
>> if present (remember that Jeremy Huddleston is both X11 maintainer at
>> Apple as well as the packager of the X11 Xquartz updates as well as
>> being the maintainer of all of MacPorts x11 packages). If you install
>> X11 Xquartz under Snow Leopard, it will automatically use any
>> improvements
>> to the user interface since the OS will consider it the new default
>> X11 location (in terms of the runnning X11).
>>                Jack
>>

> That's interesting.  How does it work, do you know?  If you have
> another program dynamically linked to an X11 library (in the standard
> way), is it going to use the library in /opt instead of the library
> in /usr/X11 ?  What would trigger that?

As I understood the announcement, there will be a preference pane
allowing you to choose which X server will be started by launchd. What
will happen if you run binaries compiled against the X11 in /usr/X11 on
the X server in /opt/X11, well, I guess this will be interesting...

In any case, any improvements in xquartz living in /opt/X11 will perhaps
be available at runtime, but not at compile time unless we switch Fink
completely over to /opt/X11, which means changing every single package
and forcing everyone to abandon the system X11.