Adrian Prantl wrote:
[]
> + IFS=';'

This is the reason why it breaks. On 10.6, the configure script gets the
weird idea that the path separator is ';' instead of ':'. It has a funny
test for this, and this test behaves differently on 10.5 and on 10.6. It
is the line

   PATH=".;."; conftest.sh

Here conftest.sh is a trivial script in the current directory. On 10.5,
it gives the error message

../dist/configure[1123]: conftest.sh: not found [No such file or directory]

whereas on 10.6, it passes without error, inducing configure to believe
that ';' is a valid path separator.

This is how far I got. I don't understand why this behaves differently
on 10.5 and 10.6, but I don't even understand why this should be a valid
test (which it is not, evidently). Weird.