On Mar 7, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Steve Huff wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2010, at 10:40 PM, James Bunton wrote:
>
>> That seems... broken. I wonder why your Fink python installs don't seem
>> to work. Try reinstalling Python. Can you think of anything that would
>> cause it?
>

> rebuilt and reinstalled python26 and python25 from source, no change in the
> output of mac_ver().  my Fink installation is bootstrapped from the
> installation tarball as of a few weeks ago (just switched to 10.6 x86_64),
> not too many packages installed yet.  XCode 3.2.1.
>
> -steve

This is a problem with python on x86_64. mac_ver() uses Carbon to get the
version information and the Carbon interface is gone on 64 bit so mac_ver()
returns an empty value. FWIW, python 3.1 uses a different method that works on
all platforms, but it doesn't look to be easy to back port.

Apple patches their python to hardcode the version info into mac_ver() at build
time so that it always works. It's basically patching from Lib/platform.py "def
mac_ver(release='',versioninfo=('','',''),machine='')" so that "release" holds
"sw_vers -productVersion" and "machine" holds "uname -p". Note that "machine"
is i386 even on x86_64.

I'm CCing the python2x maintainer so he can fix the packages as he wants.

Daniel