Koen van der Drift wrote:
> I'm trying to force remove a package, but get this output:
>
> $ sudo apt-get remove xml-parser-pm588
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    intltool40: Depends: xml-parser-pm588 but it is not going to be
> installed
>    software-license-pm588: Depends: data-section-pm588 but it is not
> going to be installed
>                            Depends: mro-compat-pm588 but it is not
> going to be installed
>                            Depends: sub-exporter-pm588 but it is not
> going to be installed
>                            Depends: sub-install-pm588 but it is not
> going to be installed
>                            Depends: text-template-pm but it is not
> going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
>

> I don't understand this, why would it complain about unmet
> dependencies when I want to *remove* a package??

You will probably get the same complaint from apt-get whenever you ask
it to do *anything*. It just refuses to work as long as it feels
something is unclean in its database. dpkg is much less inhibited, you
can use it to --remove --force-all whatever you wish.

OTOH, the complaint seems to indicate among other things that
xml-parser-pm588 is not installed, at least not according to apt-get. I
don't know if apt-get or apt-cache can give you more detailed
information, but "dpkg -l" will.