On 6/22/10 11:31 AM, Sjors Gielen wrote:

> Op 22 jun 2010, om 16:41 heeft Max Horn het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Well, there is always good old "grep", which gives the list below of 245
>> .info files containing the string "libjpeg-shlibs" in my unstable tree. Some
>> of those may not be really dependencies, but most probably are (I didn't
>> bother to remove libjpeg and libjpeg8 themselves, too). In any case, this
>> means that replacing libjpeg by libjpeg8 is a "bit" more complicated than
>> you made it sound in your initial email ;-).
>>
>> That said, I nevertheless would appreciate this transition (likewise the
>> transition from libpng/libpng3 to libpng14; readline to readline5; gettext &
>> libgettext3 to libgettext8; etc. etc.). But all those packages would have to
>> be tested. Many are unmaintained. Many are for very old stuff. Maybe some
>> should just be removed, but I wouldn't do that lightly, nor would I
>> recommend just changing them and hoping for the best...
>
> However, there is a way to make a package obsolete[0] and iirc, it makes -m
> builds of those packages fail (or otherwise I think it should and I will
> patch it in fink).

Please don't do it.  This will make things harder for the developers.
The buildworld that Hanspeter runs uses maintainer mode, as does the one
I use when I do clean builds for packages from the tracker.  It's
really, really, really, really annoying when maintainer mode dies for
something that should _not_ be fatal.  Using an old, but still
functional, version of a library comes under this category.

The existing message about a dependency on an obsolete package shows up
even for normal builds, and I think it's adequate.

(The 45-character Description limit is yet more annoying to have show up
as a fatality, but that's another matter).

Then, the work is split across all maintainers to do the switch
themselves, and this will hopefully result in all packages eventually
switching to the newest versions.

Not all maintainers have commit access, nor do they always bother to use
maintainer mode to check the dependencies of their packages.  And often
maintainers are busy.

The packages that won't be switched, then, are both unmaintainer and
unused, and will switch the moment they become used again

> If I now propose that libjpeg, libpng, libpng3, gettext, libgettext3,
> libdjvulibre15 and imagemagick1 get a fink-obsolete-packages dependency, what
> do you all think?
>
> Thanks,
> Sjors
>
> [0] "Depends: fink-obsolete-packages" -