On 2/13/11 8:49 AM, Julius Canute wrote:
> libncurses5
> I assume libncurses5 to be a superset of libncurses5-shlibs meaning the
> shared library should be provided while installing libncurses5.

Something like that, yes.  libncurses5 Depends on libncurses5-shlibs, so
you do indeed get the libraries indirectly when you install libncurses5.

We have a couple of typical ways to name library packages and their
development (header) packages:

foo-dev
foo-shlibs

- --or--

foo
foo-shlibs

libncurses5 and libncurses5-shlibs represent the second case.

This is covered in the packaging manual.

> libncurses5-shlibs
> I assume that this package provides shared library alone.

Correct.

> I have written like:
> BuildDepends:libncurses5
> Depends:libncurses5-shlibs
> Idea got by looking @ similar packages.

That's right.

> shouldn't it be
> BuildDepends:libncurses5
> Depends:libncurses5
> ?

No.
It's against policy to specify a Depends: on a development package
because those are only needed at build time. They can be switched to
install a later version of the package in question.
For example, if libncurses6 became available one could switch
libncurses5 for libncurses6 to allow a package to build against the
libraries from libncurses6-shlibs.

Again, this is in the packaging manual.
- --
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.