On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:50:30 -0400, Daniel Johnson  wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
  > > On 4/5/11 8:34 AM, Max Horn wrote:
  > >>
  > >> And so on. I would like to propose that all obsolete packages
receive a common, uniform description, namely:

  > >>   "OBSOLETE use FOO instead"
  > >> or maybe better
  > >>   "OBSOLETE use package 'FOO' instead"
  > >>
  > >> or something like that. Likewise, the DescDetail could be
unified. Of course this change would have to go along with a revision
increment. We may want to

  > > I found one issue when I was trying to make a package obsolete:
  > >
  > > $ fink dumpinfo -fdescription treeline
  > > Information about 10150 packages read in 1 seconds.
  > >
  > > $ fink validate
  > > /sw32/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/utils/treeline-1.2.4-3.info
  > > Validating package file
  > > /sw32/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/utils/treeline-1.2.4-3.info...
  > > Warning: Description contains package name. (treeline-1.2.4-3.info)
  > >
  > > This is fatal in maintainer mode.
  >
  > This is an annoying limitation and I wonder if it should be removed
from the validator. While they aren't common, I can think of a number
of reasons to have the package name incorporated into the Description,
not just for obsolete packages. For example, when I made the 'lzma'
package I wanted to use the Description 'LZMA file compressor', which
is what it is. I couldn't think of a reasonable Description that didn't
have the string 'lzma' in it so I used 'L Z M A file compressor' to
trick the validator even though it was horribly kludgy. Fortunately,
that package is now obsolete and its Description is 'OBSOLETE Use xz
instead'. :)

  > I do like Max's suggestion to use "OBSOLETE use package 'FOO'
instead" and I'll probably change it for the next version. I have
several obsolete packages so I'll have to audit them all.

Would be easy to make validator relax its Description test for obsolete
packages (there are already other special allowances for them that are
fatal otherwise). The rationale for the normal "No %n in Description"
rule is that Description is always displayed in the vicinity (and often
the very next string word after) %n: "lzma LZMA file compressor" seems
pretty silly. We already know it's called lzma, just need a phrase that
describes WTF that is. "Command-line file-compression tool" says even
more (and more useful) info.

Max (or whoever decides what pattern has consensus as a best-practice),
please update the fink-wiki page (see 'fink info
fink-obsolete-packages').

dan

--
Daniel Macks