On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 17:12:20 -0400, Daniel Macks  wrote:
We've long had xft2-dev and fontconfig2-dev keep their headers and
libraries buried in subdirs so that they do not mask system (x11)
supplied versions of those same packages. [...]
> Is it time to unbury these libraries?

Along the same "get out of the dark ages for probably no-longer-needed
compatibility situations that cause their own problems", should we also
scrap the static libs? X11 no longer ships them and keeping them
entails having some sort of inherited build-depends (vs relying on dyld
runtime linking). I vaguely remember some package or two checking for
libFOO.{a,so} as a ./configure test, so scrapping .a would make that
not work, but if it's hardcoded for "static or linux only" it's already
a bit broken?

dan

  --
Daniel Macks