Dave,
    Is it possible for us to drop "Type: -64bit" from 10.7, yet retain the
ability to properly package 32-bit shared libraries? Perhaps since we no longer
have to distinguish between a 32-bit package with 64-bit files and a 64-bit
package with 32-bit files, this issue is easier to solve in fink/dpkg. I would
like to retain the 32-bit compiler support in the gcc4x compiler packages but
without the need to use "Type: -64bit ." in order to package them. There are
a several reasons for this. The first is that --disable-multilib creates a
compiler that issues cryptic error messages about missing multilib files when
passed -m32 (which is suboptimal). The second is the absence of 32-bit support
in the compiler might encourage the installation of alternatively packaged
gcc compilers next to fink (which is bad). Lastly, I use the full multilib
packaging of gcc4x to routinely submit testsuite results upstream for gcc
trunk. Any ideas on how feasible it will be to solve this issue so -64bit
can be dropped but its core functionality retained?
                 Jack