On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:30:46 -0400, Alexander Hansen  wrote:
> On 9/30/11 8:06 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> > As most of you know, it can be a pain to test and roll packages
> > over to stable from unstable, particularly when they have huge
> > dependency trees.
> > > I propose the following phased process:
> > > Phase 1: Since people have been testing packages (presumably)
> > before committing them to 10.7/stable, that tree is indeed  pretty
> > stable.  We'll start by moving all packages from 10.4/unstable to
> > 10.4/stable that have identical (or mostly identical) counterparts
> > in 10.7/stable.  Most importantly, we will _delete_ the
> > descriptions from 10.7/unstable.
> > > As people continue to add packages to 10.7, they should move them
> > from 10.4/unstable to 10.4/stable if they're the same version.
> > > In addition, we'll delete package descriptions from 10.4/unstable
> > that are identical to those in 10.4/stable.
> > > Phase 2: Once Phase 1 is finished, we will announce a freeze on new
> > commits to 10.4/unstable, and we'll start rolling maintained
> > packages and their dependencies over to stable.
> > > Once the freeze has been announced all updates should go to the
> > stable tree henceforth.
> > > Phase 3: What should be left at this point is unmaintained packages
> > that nothing else needs.  We should test these and see (1) if they
> > still work, (2) if not, are there newer versions that work or can
> > easily be made to, and (3) if not, do we bother keeping the
> > packages.  In cases (1) or (2) we roll them to stable.
> > > Any thoughts on this?
>
> I'll take that as a 'no', and we can go ahead and start Phase 1.
>
> We are not currently freezing the CVS tree.
>
> Maintainers should audit their packages in 10.4 and check for items
> that are identical in 10.4/stable and 10.4/unstable.

I just did a full sweep of 10.4/unstable and (with the exception of a
few corner cases) purged it of all .info that exactly matched the one
in 10.4/stable (and also the parallel-named .patch if there was one for
the in-sync .info). I did no testing at all, so if it *was* in stable
and somehow broken, it still is just as broken, and I also didn't look
at any changed .info, so if it was broken in stable and fixed in
unstable or in 10.7 it's still that same way too.

dan

  --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org