Kurt,

I've attached the .info I'm currently using on 10.6 and 10.7 (both 64-bit).  It
is the recently released basemap 1.0.2 which requires matplotlib >= 1.0.0.  No
patches necessary.

I do have to set the GEOS_DIR environment variable since the libgeos are
installed in a non-standard place.  I don't know if there is better way to do
that or not other than the hard-coding.

Merle