On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:36:47 -0500, Charles Lepple <clep...@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

> One of the things preventing me from just moving pcb into the 10.7
> tree is a dependency on libstroke, which uses glib1. (It's not a hard
> dependency - I've never used the stroke functionality, and the pcb
> ./configure script will happily detect the absence of the library).
>
> Any recommendations? I don't seem to see any active development on
> glib1 upstream (or on libstroke, for that matter) so I'm tempted to
> drop libstroke.
>
> Or, has anyone tried porting a glib1 codebase to glib2?

Depending on what parts of the interface are used, porting from glib1
to glib2 ranges from trivial ("switch the -I and -L flags") to annoying
  ("...and adjust some #include") to quite difficult ("...and figure
out  how to adjust for function prototype differences and struct
accessor  changes" or so). Glib1 is hella-old, and I don't think we
really want to  keep supporting it into 10.7.

The only reverse-depends of libstroke I see are fvwm2  and pcb, so if
they could migrate off of it, obivously the "libstroke  migration
problem" is solved by not migrating it. Or libstroke (as a  package)
could split the libgstroke into a separate package in a  separate .info
(like we did with dbus vs dbus-glib) and then it's easier  to bring
forward what pcb wants without depending on the glib layer  (which can
then be wrangled or not as time allows). And also thin the  dep-tree
for pcb (not need the glib deps). Added libstroke maintainer to Cc for
his thoughts.

dan

--
Daniel Macks