On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:43:33 -0700, Alexander Hansen
<alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
We've got some maintainers (J. Howarth, H. Todd that I know of) who have
> access to Mountain Lion.  Jack, in particular has been doing build
> tests.  To help expedite updates, I propose the following:
>
> 1)
> Some packages are tagged as Distribution: 10.7, which of course makes
> them invisible on 10.8. ;-)  Unless we get an objection in advance from
> the maintainer, any packages so tagged which are confirmed to work are
> subject to re-tagging.
>
> 2)
> For maintained packages which need some substantive change, the
> procedure will be that a package description will be sent to the
> maintainer and/or posted on the submissions tracker.  If no response
> from the maintainer is forthcoming within 72 hours, then the package can
> be updated if a Core Team member signs off on the change.
>
> 3)
> For unmaintained packages, Core Team oversight before committing will
> still be required, but without the 72 hour evaluation period.
>
> Feedback, as always, is welcome and appreciated.

The big question is whether 10.8 will use the 10.7 distro (the way
10.[56] use the 10.4 distro) or be a new distro itself (the way 10.7
was vs 10.6). Given that only OS X 10.7 uses dist:10.7 at this point,
there's no reason anything in it needs to be tagged "Distribution:10.7"
unless we know it to be nonviable on 10.8. Likewise, dist:10.7 files
don't need to carry any of the dist/arch/type tags for variants that
only existed in the 10.[456] worlds. That can go a long way to
simplifying those crufty lines (and help detect .info that actually
*don't* supply any variant on the new distro). The cost is that it
means the *same* .info file won't be usable on both 10.[56] and
10.7whatever (but the diff is still easy to read and any standard diff
utility should be able to ignore the expected different lines).

dan

  --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org