The VirtPackages.pm system-perl packages have extensive Provides lists of the
various -pmXXX packages. Apple supplies modules with its perl that are "extra",
not part of the upstream perl-core distro. The VP system-perl packages appear
to Provides these extra ones as well as the core ones. The real perlXXX-core
packages do not have the apple extra modules, and so their Provides lists are a
subset than the VP system-perl ones.

One of the reasons we supply perlXXX-core on distros that support more than one
OS X version is to enable users to upgrade their OS X, which likely involves
jumping to a newer system-perl version, without too much headache. They can
just install fink's perlXXX-core for whatever XXX the previous OS X version had
(our real perlXXX-core packages are masked out of the Distribution that has
that XXX as system-perl). Now they still have the same perl-version interp,
only now it's supplied by fink rather than apple, and I assume we expect that
users' existing installed set of -pmXXX and other things that are tied to that
older perl-version would still have a good chance of continuing to work. Flaw:
this fink perlXXX-core does not Provides all the packages that the previous
system-perl did, so packages relying on them are now broken. The VP system-perl
isn't a real dpkg package and the system upgrade isn't handled by dpkg, so dpkg
doesn't notice that the upgrade removed the provider!
  of a package that had reverse-dependencies.

dan

 --
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org