On 27/07/12 11:02, Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
> Apple is, as usual, very inventive with their bugs. The problem is that
> the OS upgrade wipes out the Fink-created users, but not the groups.
> Thus there remains GID 266, which fink interprets as "ID 266 already in
> use", and it refuses to create user fink-bld with UID 266, proposes to
> create UIDs dynamically instead. You end up with fink-bld UID:600,
> GID:266. Fink could perhaps be smarter about this.

OTOH, the Fink passwd packages have no scruples overriding existing
UIDs. This could become a problem if the Fink policy of considering UIDs
above and including 250 as open territory is invalid. On my Mac mini
with 10.8/Server, I have a user "com.apple.calendarserver" with UID 250.
The passwd-news package will happily override this with its "news" user,
with potentially bad results.

What is the information on which Fink bases this "UIDs above 250 are
free" policy?