On 2012 Aug 1, at 10:39 AM, Daniel Macks wrote:

> Given sdl using sdl-config and sdl.pc as the ways to publish flags,
> which is the problem here: those file(s) not being found by [the
> build-system of whatever you are trying to compile against SDL], or
> that build-system not handling them properly, or the flags not being
> correct for accomplishing that compiling? None of these seem to cry out
> for an .m4 solution IMO.

        As Mr. Neiderstrasser already pointed out, the initial difficulty is
that there is no config or pc component in the framework.  The reason for
considering M4 is simply that it already exists.  If i am able to provide a
patch to SDL upstream then all projects that configure with AM_PATH_SDL would
benefit from the added capability.

On 2012 Aug 1, at 11:01 AM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:

> For sdl.m4 to correctly identify an SDL.framework install, it would need
> to 1) check for the existence of the SDL binary (usually
> /Library/Frameworks/SDL.framework/SDL), 2) compile a test program to
> make sure the framework works, and 3) not get confused if a system has
> both the framework and the 'unixy' installs coexisting.

        Ooh.  #3 hadn't even occurred to me, thanks for pointing that out.  If
the library is present in both formats, then i suppose the .dylib should take
precedence over the framework.  I will also check valknut and autoconf-archive
for any breadcrumbs.

sent from Lion

Mal: "You're welcome on my boat. God ain't."