We've had some confusion expressed on the lists and IRC about what needs
to be installed when folks see "Can't resolve dependency xcode (>= 4.5)
for package ...".  Unfortunately, since this happens during the
dependency resolution phase, there really isn't a hook in Fink to tell
people what to do until they attempt to run "fink install xcode", and so
it's natural to update the app but not the CLI tools when seeing this
message.

We've been using "xcode" as denoting the aggregate version of the
command-line tools because historically for monolithic Xcode releases
the app and CLI tools were released together, and it was normally
changes in the latter that we cared about.  However, I think it might be
a good idea to phase out "xcode" gradually--validator warning at some
release to be replaced by an error in a later one--and replace it with
e.g. "xcode-tools" or "xcode-cli".  Unfortunately we can't have "xcode"
continue to exist as a Provide from one of the latter, because most
every case of a BuildDepends: xcode is versioned.

We'd keep "xcode.app" unchanged.  as pertaining to a need for
Xcode.app--or to use xcodebuild.

Also, the idea of comparing the "xcode" (or replacement) and "xcode.app"
versions--at least the first two digits since those seem to be
meaningful, and marking the lesser of the two as outdated.  That will
warrant a little testing, since I don't think we've ever had virtual
packages marked as outdated before.

Any thoughts?
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.