On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:17 AM, Hanspeter Niederstrasser <f...@snaggledworks.com>
wrote:

> Our ccp4 package currently doesn't build on 10.6/i386 because both the .info
> and the build process assume x86_64 in several places and this leads to files
> being compiled for the wrong architecture and therefore unable to be linked
> in i386 Fink.
>
> The attached .info and .patch allow the build to succeed on 10.6/i386. The
> 10.6/x86_64 also finishes. Please check that the resulting builds actually
> work.
>
> Hanspeter
> <ccp4.info><ccp4.patch>

Dear Hanspeter:

Thanks very much for this.. I really appreciate your efforts and apologize for
how much of a mess this is.

A new revision will be available upstream within the next few days, so I will
incorporate those changes.

Also, I have been communicating with the CCP4 organization about the future of
CCP4 on OS X.  They are
moving toward having 32 and 64-bit binary packages with internal automatic
update systems.  (Currently they have
a 32 bit package with an internal update system).  The consensus was that this
would make the fink package and
its lack of their internal update system obsolete and and an additional
maintenance burden for them (and me).

My plan was to have one final update when the revision appears in early [sic]
February, but then to phase it out
with a system-ccp4 package or something like that.

Part of the CCP4 package includes libraries required for other packages (like
coot) that are GPL and are in fink.  CCP4 releases the libraries under LGPL,
but the binary executables themselves are covered under a more restrictive
license -- scientists in industry are supposed to pay to use them via what is
in essence an honors system.  So perhaps a libccp4 package (as a successor to
the gpp4 package, which is a fork) would be the most appropriate future?

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

William G. Scott
Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
228 Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA