On 7/2/2013 6:24 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 06:10:24PM -0400, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
>> openmotif4-2.3.4-4 fails to install with this error during the deb
>> unpack phase:
>>
>> Preparing to replace openmotif4 2.3.4-4 (using
>> .../openmotif4_2.3.4-4_darwin-x86_64.deb) ...
>> Unpacking replacement openmotif4 ...
>> Setting up openmotif4 (2.3.4-4) ...
>> Clearing dependency_libs of .la files being installed
>> update-alternatives: error: alternative path
>> /sw/share/man/man3/Object.3.openmotif doesn't exist
>> dpkg: error processing openmotif4 (--install):
>>   subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>   openmotif4
>> ### execution of /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait failed, exit code 1
>>
>> The built deb file has
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- root/admin     2452 2013-07-02 17:53 ./sw/share/man/man3/Object.3
>>
>> but it was never 'versioned' during InstallScript.
>>
>> However, I'm not sure why the file even needs to be under the control of
>> update-alternatives. The only instances of man3/Object.3 that I could
>> find in my 10.7 buildworld debs are in lesstif, openmotif3 and
>> openmotif4, all of which already C/R with each other.  The use of u-a
>> seems to date back to the 10.4-Transitional days. Is this still
>> relevant, or does man3/Object.3 exist in another newer package?
>
> This seems to go all the way back to the 10.2 stable tree and appears
> to be due to overlap with lesstif and openmotif. Are you installing
> on a machine with lesstif installed? I don't normally have lesstif
> installed and have never seen this failure moving back and forth
> between openmotif3 and openmotif4. I would be more worried about why
> update-alternatives is breaking on your machine.
>            Jack

After more checking, the direct cause is u-a from the new dpkg Justin is
working on.  Apparently it is stricter on how it generates alternatives.
  openmotif3 works here, but both lesstif and openmotif4 fail to install
with the above error.  The difference between the packages is that only
openmotif3 has this:

mv %i/share/man/man3/Object.3 %i/share/man/man3/Object.3.openmotif

in its InstallScript.  The new u-a apparently needs to have the actual
'varianted' file present and won't just silently fail when it is not
present.  If I add the above line to InstallScript in openmotif4 and
lesstif, then they both install correctly.

Hanspeter