Why would they want a bug report against such an old version? Are newer
versions not-broken? I'm pretty sure I already mentioned exactly what
change they made in newer versions to avoid trying to access the
internals of the external libpcre.

dan

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:44:34 -0400, Jack Howarth
<howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay, I now see that disables the use of pcre. Guess someone should
open a PR upstream, no? Do we really gain anything of use by having
R-base build against pcre?

> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014, Jack Howarth <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       Well, empirically it fixed the r-base214 build on 10.8 for me
> by just changing --with-system-pcre to --with-pcre=%p. It would be
> highly irregular for the --with-system-pcre option not to be pushing
> the headers in /usr/include to be used.
>
> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014, Daniel Macks <dma...@netspace.org> wrote:
>
>        (sorry if this email goes out twice!)
>
> I don't think that's the meaning of "system". R appears to have
> optional onboard/internal sources of various dependencies as an
> alternative to using ones existing "on the system". *Where* on the
> system is a different issue. You can probably check the .d files to
> see exactly which headers are being loaded to see if it's matched. dan
>
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:21:08 -0400, Jack Howarth
> <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't this just a header mismatch? We have both a build depends on
> libpcre1 and --with-system-pcre which is illogical. I am testing with
> --with-system-pcre changed to --with-pcre=%p. FYI, macports doesn't
> pass either flag and incorrectly ignores pcre. On Tuesday, April 29,
> 2014, Daniel Macks <dma...@netspace.org> wrote:
>
>        Using (apparently-)undocumented, internal implementation
> details that are known to change in different versions is *always* a
> problem. Any solution that doesn't involve actually not-doing-that is
> merely deferring the same failure from occurring again in the future
> when those details change again. dan
>
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:12:14 -0400, Jack Howarth
> <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel,      Isn't the real problem that r-base in fink is being
> built with --with-system-pcre but the fink lib pcre.1.dylib ends up
> linked into libR. I assume we need a BuildConflicts on libpcre1 in
> order to have the system pcre used.
>          Jack
>
> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014, Daniel Macks <dma...@netspace.org> wrote:
>
>        On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:38:02 -0400, Daniel Macks
> <dma...@netspace.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:55:18 -0400, Jack Howarth
>
>        <howarth.at.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The r-base214 packaging seems to have test suite issues when built
> > against Xcode 5.1 on darwin12…
> >
> > Testing examples for package ‘utils’
> > /sw/src/fink.build/r-base214-2.14.2-9/R-2.14.2/bin/BATCH: line 60:
> > 34097 Trace/BPT trap: 5       ${R_HOME}/bin/R -f ${in} ${opts} >
> ${R_BATCH_OPTIONS} > ${out} 2>&1
> >  Error: testing 'utils' failed
> > Execution halted
>
> The failure appears to be due to an unresolved __pcre_valid_utf (or
> similarly  named) symbol in libR.dylib. The R library is trying to
> use a private  symbol in libpcre by guessing what it's called (and
> what its parameters  are) in various different libpcre versions, but
> our most recent libpcre dropped  that symbol altogether. Obviously a
> fragile situation to rely on  undocumented non-public content. One
> useful change we can make is to patch out the "-undefined
> [...]

Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org