Alexander,
     I don't think setting Type: Java will help as the change needs to be
applied in a post install script in the actual deb.
The current packaging I posted seems to work fine. After running…

sudo -u tomcat /sw/bin/tomcat8 start

the url, http://localhost:8080, shows the expected tomcat 8.0.5 welcome
page. Also if execute…

sudo -u tomcat vi /sw/var/tomcat8/conf/tomcat-users.xml

and add the lines…

<role rolename="manager-gui" />
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager-gui" />

then the administration manager can be accessed at the url,
http://localhost:8080/manager/html
after restarting the tomcat server.
                Jack