On 5/21/14, 4:36 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> On 5/21/14, 6:30 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
>> Maybe upstream oughtn't be linking it then?
>
> I suppose if you're actually embedding the JVM *into* your program,
> maybe?  That's the only reason I can think of that linking libjvm
> would actually be legitimate.  99% of native code relating to the JVM
> is jnilibs (ie, bundles/loadable modules), which should not be linking
> to it.

Hmm...here's what I get from the default OS X build:

$ otool -L /sw/lib/octave/3.8.1/liboctinterp.2.dylib
/sw/lib/octave/3.8.1/liboctinterp.2.dylib:
        /sw/lib/octave/3.8.1/liboctinterp.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
current version 3.0.0)
        /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/JavaVM
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

The JavaVM library is in a stable location with a hardcoded path, but
I'm uneasy about the linkage now.

If, instead, the build is tweaked (requiring a patch) to use an Oracle
JDK, then there's a runtime failure since libjvm.dylib reports its
install_name as @rpath/libjvm.dylib.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison