> On Feb 15, 2015, at 4:01 AM, Greg Minshall <minsh...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> hi.  i'm trying to get emacs to display "contextual forms" of Arabic
> letters correctly [1].  "out of the box", the fink emacs didn't do the
> right thing for me with any of the fonts i tried.
>
> problems of this sort are known [2].  one suggestion on the net is to
> make sure that libotf is installed (it is, by Fink, in my case), and
> that m17n-{db,lib} are installed.  i can't find those last two, though
> they appear to have been, at one time, part of the fink distribution.
> (and, i notice that emacs24 in fink is configured with
> --without-m17n-flt.)
>
> after, or during, a fair amount of flailing, i eventually downloaded
> 24.4.4 from gnu and built it with Fink's libotf and with m17n-{db,lib} i
> had downloaded and built from the m17n site.
>
> two'ish questions:
>
> 1.  is anyone *not* having my problem?  i.e., is there anyone using
> Fink's emacs and has contextual forms in Arabic working?  if so, how did
> you build your Fink/emacs to get that nice state?
>
> 2.  (in case it may be important) where have the m17n-{db,lib} gone?
>
> cheers, Greg Minshall
> ----
>
> [1] letters in the Arabic alphabet, like those in the Hebrew and some
> (unknown, to me) number of other alphabets, vary in shape depending on
> whether they are printed separate of any word, or at the beginning, at
> the middle, or at the end of a word (where, for ease of explanation, the
> word "word" is here used slightly incorrectly).  see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_script_in_Unicode#Contextual_forms
> if you would like more information.
>

> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23924306/arabic-glyphs-in-emacs
> is a discussion on stackoverflow.  to really understand (and reproduce)
> the problem, you might look at
> ----
> http://www.persoarabic.org/content/generated/doc.free/mohsen/PLPC/120036/current/accessPage
> ----
> and search for "Hala,".  type that in to "M-x set-input-method
> farsi-transliterate-banan" (as it were); if the right-most 4 letters
> look as they do in that document, you are working.  if, instead, they
> look *something* like "IJIz" -- i.e., each letter separated from the
> others by a space -- then you've the same problem i have.
>
> one complicating feature of this problem is that it can be caused by the
> "font" itself (fonts are apparently not such passive creatures as i
> would have thought).  even after getting things working with emacs, only
> the "open type" fonts did the "right thing" (not the fonts which were
> only "true type"; this was the cause of a substantial amount of my
> flailing).

The answer for (2) is that they weren’t carried over in the 10.6/10.7
transition:

http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/m17n-db
<http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/m17n-db>

We didn’t automatically move packages over, instead relying on maintainers to
move the packages or user requests to remind us about them. :-)

I just added the m17n* packages to 10.7-10.10, at the same version as above but
with some dependency modernization in the -libs.

I’ll look at adding m17n support to our emacs24.  Do you happen to know if this
would apply to the non-X11 (-nox) variant as well?
-
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison