On Thu, April 16, 2015 11:46 am, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> a bunch of packages inherited conditional logic that treats 10.10 like
> 10.1.  We’ve been patching against this, and put a .deb validator check
> for flat_namespace builds.
>
> Problem:  openmpi apparently requires flat_namespace.  Other packages
> might also need it, too, but I don’t happen to know of any offhand.
>
> There are a couple of options to address the problem:
>
> 1)  Add a boolean override field, e.g. BuildFlatNamespace, to the .info
> and have that turn off the .deb validation check.

This seems like a gateway to propagating new fields with very limited
usage. The last couple of new fields (RuntimeDepends, NoBuildAsNobody,
etc) had a significantly wider need.  So far BuildFlatNamespace has N=1.
Would it make more sense to have a new more general field that can receive
a comma separated list of pre-set values, and each value would indicate a
action?

RandomTidbitField: AllowFlatNamespace, ThwackUserWithTuna

Could Type: be extended in this manner?

> 2)  Get rid of the .deb validation check and instead apply mandatory tests
> in the earlier phases.  For example, to test at the end of the compile
> phase fink-package-precedence could be extended also to check for
> flat_namespace and packages which need flat_namespace wouldn’t use
> f-p-p; or an additional option flag could be added to f-p-p.  We could
> also check config.status before the compile phase.

Would built debs still be validatable (by hand)?

Hanspeter

--
More agile than a turtle, stronger than a mouse, nobler than a lettuce