Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.hansen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, and as a side benefit, in principle we could start this new distribution
> on github.

Thanks Alexander. I wanted to relate my initial experiences trying to bootstrap
a 10.11version of Fink on El Capitan Public Beta, using the github trees:

1) I ran into a phase 2 error using "TheCaptain" github branch, because I had
specified searching for binary packages. Here are the error messages:

Downloading the indexes of available packages in the binary distribution.
/sw/bin/apt-get-lockwait -q update
Err http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/main Packages
  404 Not Found
Ign http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/main Release
Err http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/crypto Packages
  404 Not Found
Ign http://bindist.finkmirrors.net stable/crypto Release
Failed to fetch http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/main/binary-
darwin-x86_64/Packages  404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/crypto/binary-
darwin-x86_64/Packages  404 Not Found
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
### execution of /sw/bin/apt-get-lockwait failed, exit code 100
WARNING: Failure while updating indexes.

ERROR: Bootstrap phase 2 failed!

The solution is to NOT ask to check bindist during the initial fink
configuration. Even after correcting that I ran into problems similar to those
below, so I attempted the other branch.

2) I tried making a bootstrap build with the "Captain-10.9-libc++" github
branch.
This time I got through phase 1 & 2, but was then unable to build any additional
packages,nor even do a successful 'fink selfupdate'. The error message was:

Scanning package description files
Failed: not a reference at /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/Services.pm line 1887.

So not much success yet. Perhaps the next El Capitan Public Beta release will
behave better, but I wanted you to be aware of these errors in the hope they
can be fixed on the Fink side.

Thanks,
John