Ben Hines wrote:

> Trying to fix my gal19 "locale" problem.
>
> My fink list shows:
>
>   i  gal             0.11.2-1    G App Libs.
>   i  gal-shlibs      0.19-2      GNOME application library
>      gal19           0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
>      gal19-common    0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
>      gal19-data      0.19-1      GNOME application library
> (i) gal19-shlibs    0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
>
> Where is the "gal-shlibs" package? gal19-shlibs is listed as
> replacing it in the gal19 info file, but the gal info file does not
> have a splitoff, either in stable or unstable, so where is it coming
> from?

Do you still have gal (not gal19) and gal-shlibs info files? If not, you
should install gal19-shlibs. You will then probably have to remove gal
and gal-shlibs by hand, see below.

When looking at this, I get the impression that there exist not only
virtual packages, but also ghost packages, i.e. packages that have no
info files, but are still reported by fink list, fink info, dpkg -L,
etc. (I should say I did "fink index", so it is not a problem of the new
package database).

For example, I get from "fink list gal"

% fink list gal
Information about 897 packages read in 1 seconds.
 i  gal             0.19-2      GNOME application library
 i  gal-shlibs      0.19-2      GNOME application library
 i  gal19           0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
 i  gal19-common    0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
    gal19-data      0.19-1      GNOME application library
 i  gal19-shlibs    0.19.1-2    GNOME application library
    galeon          1.1.3-1     Light-weight GNOME web browser.
    xgalaga         2.0.34-1    Clone of the classic game of galaga

I should probably say that I never installed any of this by hand; it all
came from satisfying dependencies. There are several somewhat strange
things about this listing:

- gal19 from unstable has "Replaces: gal, gal-shlibs", but it did not
remove the gal and gal-shlibs packages when it was installed. Instead it
seems to have transformed them into zombies :-)
- There is no gal-0.19-2.info file nor a gal-shlibs-0.19-2.info file
anywhere on this machine.
- Nevertheless I can list the contents and the description of gal and
gal-shlibs using fink or dpkg, and they show version 0.19-2.
- If I "fink remove" gal and gal-shlibs, they are gone forever; "fink
reinstall" does not revive them, it suddenly detects that there are no
info files available.
- gal19-data is a "virtual package" provided by gal19-common, but this
is not shown; instead the older gal19-data-0.19-1 package from stable is
shown.

So it seems the dpkg database was not updated correctly by the
installation of the splitoff-style gal19 package.

One has to "fink remove gal gal-shlibs" manually.

--
Martin