ok, don't ask me how that worked....
yesterday, I couldn't find out why the hell mozilla still didn't work
for me...
today I just tried it from root, and it launched right away!! ever since
then I can use it (with the gdk warning, but as long as its only a
warning, I don't mind ;-)

I haven't touched my system nor done anything magically - I just can't
explain why it didn't work yesterday, but works now.... maybe some elves
came and fixed it over night *g*

alex