Do you have system-tetex installed?  You shouldn't if you are going to
install tetex through fink--it's a placeholder that you install if you've
installed tetex yourself (in /usr/local, usually).  If you do have
system-tetex installed, then uninstall it, and try again to update.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University