I have the latest version of KDE running, but CUPs  does not appear
to be working properly.  It did not load upon startup. I started  it
manually using

cupsd -c /sw/etc/cups/cups.conf.

However, when I try to start kprinter in an X window , I get the
following messages:

kprinter: printcap file returned: /etc/printcap
kprinter: printers.conf obtained from NIS server: ypcat
printers.conf.byname > /private/tmp/kde-gpapen/printers.conf
No such map printers.conf.byname. Reason: Request arguments bad
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /etc/lp/printers
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /etc/lp/member
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /usr/spool/interfaces/lp

It then crashes. I am currently unable to print so any ideas would be great.