(incidentally, I was able to successfully duct tape my gnome-libs .patch
file, still interested in general info but immediate need met)

New issue: can somebody please clarify the following: budle-gnome causes
a gnome-
print-0.35-3 install, which crashes with:

checking for gdk-pixbuf-config... /sw/bin/gdk-pixbuf-config
checking for GDK_PIXBUF - version >= 0.7.0... no
*** Could not run GDK_PIXBUF test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GDK_PIXBUF or finding the
wrong
*** version of GDK_PIXBUF. If it is not finding GDK_PIXBUF, you'll need
to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to
point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if
that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it,
although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH

According to the "package" link off of fink.sourceforge.net, there
doesn't even exist a fink package for gdk-pixbuf past version 0.18 in
unstable.  What gives?

Jeff Henrikson