On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 05:54 PM, Justin Hallett wrote:

> fink should never have issued that command.  If it did there is likely
> something wrong with your fink installing.  And you should wait for
> someone else to help you, since you where installing fink-0.10 I finigured
> it was a new isntall and you issued that command.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>> Thanx.
>> Is there any way to configure fink to use the right (gzip/Tar) command?
>>
>> Now I will have to continue the install update procedure manually, and
>> that
>> might prove a bit tricky for me.

There's nothing wrong with that command!

> Justin Hallett wrote:
>
> this looks like a bzip2 line
>
> bzip2 -dc foo.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
>
> gzip files like foo.tar.gz are extracted like this
>
> tar -xzf foo.tar.gz
>
> the z tells tar that the file is also gziped and you don't have to call
> gunzip directly this way.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>> gzip -dc packages-0.4.0.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

This does exactly the same as "tar xvzf packages-0.4.0.tar.gz", just as

bzip2 -dc foo.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -

does the same as

tar xjf foo.tar.bz2

(with fink's tar, the flag for bzip'ed files is somewhat inconsistent ;).

If gzip complains about a .gz file not being in gzip format, then that
file is corrupt, probably from a botched download -- most likely it is a
"file not found" html-message or something, check it with

less packages-0.4.0.tar.gz

What fink _should_ have done actually is tell you about the corrupt file
and ask if it should delete and try to download it again. Since it has not
done so, I suggest just to delete the packages file manually and run
selfupdate again, or try to download packages-0.4.0.tar.gz manually in
case there are still problems with the download.

HTH,
                                                        Derek