Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Ben Hines wrote:
>

>> On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 04:41 PM, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry Fink User for this question, but no one's answering it at the
>>> Apple Discussion group.
>>>
>>> I'm totally lost here. Ok, I downloaded CUPS, but I see according to
>>> docs that I need to install
>>>     - JPEG 6b or higher
>>>     - PNG 1.0.6 or higher
>>>     - TIFF 3.4 or higher
>>>     - ZLIB 1.1.3 or higher
>>

>> Ok. So type "fink install cups" and it will be done.
>>

>>> Whereas I feel the need to be sure any applications or libraries are,
>>> more or less, OSX specific, I would think they should be available
>>> through Apple. But they're not. So, I went to macosx.forked.net,
>>> where they are.
>>>
>>> The JPEG self installs - great. But PNG requires zlib. Downloading
>>> either of those doesn't cause them to self install, but according to
>>> the README you have to "make install" them. Fine, I'm used to that.
>>

>> "fink install cups"
>>
>> This is the fink list, we aren't going to help you do it without fink.
>> This is why fink exists, removal of all this hassle.
>>
>> -Ben
>>

> ok, so I should then be able to go to localhost:631 and configure my
> printers. But, no go. I get an error telling me the connection was refused.

I don't know much OSX (nor do I have an available system here), but I know
a fair bit about CUPS.

Check the contents of the "cupsd.conf" configuration file. It has
sections tagged <Location /name>....</Location>. In between these two
tags there are the "security" settings for the access control to the
location. (All settings to "/location" automatically apply also to
"/location/sub-location" unless you define something specifically
and separate for "sub-location"...

You have: <Location />...............</Location> [the server "root"]
--------- <Location /admin>..........</Location> [access to the server administration]
           <Location /printers>.......</Location> [access all printers]
           <Location /printers/name>..</Location> [access to printer "name"]
           <Location /jobs>...........</Location> [access to jobs]

Most likely, you have the following:

<Location />
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From All
   Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

This means you can't access the server root from any other place than
"127.0.0.1". (So if you have not a mapping of "127.0.0.1" to "localhost"
declared in your "/etc/hosts" (or wherever the file resides on OSX),
you can't even go though "http://localhost:631/";

Try for testing to go to "http://127.0.0.1:631/"; (and include the "/" at
the end if it doesn't work without).

Once you've this access, try to figure out the same thing for
"http://127.0.0.1:631/admin/"; and "http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/";

> Whereas I could configure the printers through the terminal using
> lpadmin, but I can't print to my printers.

Check the settings for "<Location /printers>.......</Location>".
In case there are still problems, set "LogLevel debug" in "cupsd.conf",
re-start CUPS, and check the "error_log" (might be in "/var/log/cups/"
or in the path specified in "cupsd.ocnf" itself...) for any illuminating
messages...

> BTW, they are networked printers.

Doesn't make a difference at this point of troubleshooting.

> Curtis

Cheers,
Kurt

[Oh, and BTW, you may be able to draw some useful conclusions from
"http://www.cups.org/cups-help.html";, although this document was written
with mainly Linux in mind...]