Meanwhile, I'm happy to report that the original problem which caused
this thread (kde thinking my shift was a control key) went away after I
rebuilt xfree86-base and xfree86-rootless overnight.

I thought I had done this already when I upgraded to Jaguar, but now I
notice that the instructions only say "update" not "rebuild".

Regards,
                Bill McCallum