At 11:11 PM +0200 10/6/02, Michael Loose wrote:
>As there is no possibility to sent feedback directly to someone who
>feels responsible
>for the latest distribution i use this way to let out these things
>(adressed to whom ever it may concern).

<- snip ->

>It simply takes more time to use Fink than it takes to do it
>properly yourself.

Not so. Or more correctly, speak for yourself, because the assertion
doesn't generalize.

I was hired to do a certain job. There's a package that helps me do
that job. That package depends on a half-dozen or so other packages.

I could spend time:

   (1) finding out where to get all the supporting packages (ncurses,
png, jpeg, bzip2, readline, ...) [note, I've been down that route, so
I know what I'm talking about, here; just finding them all is
non-trivial]
   (2) setting up a directory structure to keep track of all these packages
   (3) downloading them individually and sorting out how to configure
and install each of them for OS X (which I can only do if someone
else has already worked out the patches necessary for OS X) which
means spending time studying each package's documentation, and that
documentation is not specific to OS X, so I have to really study it
to find what I need
   (4) tracking down and correcting my own mistakes, of which there
will be plenty because I'm not a professional unix software developer

Instead I

   (1) install fink (easy)
   (2) for each package I type "fink install package"
   (3) do something else productive while fink does the job

I estimate a factor of 10 in terms of the amount of time fink saves me.