I have xfree86-base and xfree86-rootless packages installed version 4.2.0.1-1.

Running "startx -quartz" produces
XFree86 Version 4.2.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 August 2002
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin
Using keymapping provided in /System/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping.
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
Display mode: IOKit
Failed to connect to the HID System as the window server!

Fatal server error:
Quit the Mac OS X window server or use the -quartz option.

OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
giving up.
xinit: Connection n refused (errno 61): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

running "startx --quartz" produces the same error.

I have tried reinstalling the relevant packages, with no success-- I can only run X from XDarwin.app.

I can get the checkered screen by running "startx" from console mode, although no applications (xterm, xclock, twm, etc) are loaded. Is there a key combination (ala Cntl-Alt-Delete) that will get me back to console mode?

Jeremy