Hi all,
A big thank you to Alexander Hansen, who (on- and offlist) helped me narrow down the cause of difficulties in upgrading XFree86 on my almost complete Fink upgrade for Jaguar. I know others have had trouble here and been answered on the list. I hope folks don't mind helping with this again; I'm really trying to learn enough to be able to troubleshoot and maintain my computer in the OS X / *nix world.

Key points, as I understand them:

1) I followed the upgrade instructions for Jaguar, and by the end of the day the the two XFree -shlibs packages were installed, but not the main packages for -base and -rootless. Hmm. (They were apparently compiled though, and the most recent -base, -base-shlibs, -rootless, -rootless-shlibs, and system-xfree86 all exist as .deb files in
/sw/fink/10.2/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/ )

2) I must have originally installed XFree from a package downloaded from another source (XonX?). Still kicking myself over this one.

3) Now, Fink Commander (FC) will not install xfree86-base because of a conflict with an existing X11.
(Truncated FC Output:)
system-xfree86 conflicts with x11
xfree86-base provides x11 and is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86- base_4.2.1.1-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing xfree86-base

4) ...and of course FC will not install -rootless because it depends on getting -base installed first.

Steps I need to take next:

5) So, I need to move (or delete, or uninstall?) some stuff out of the way, and maybe force-remove system-xfree86 before Fink will let me reinstall the correct packages, is that right?

6) Now, this 'moving-out-of-the-way' -- does that mean renaming to something that is not recognized, or do I need to really move certain directories out of the search path? Maybe I can uninstall the original XFree with the same installer (XInstall) that I used to install it originally?

7) Can I just go wild and delete directories like /usr/X11R6, and /Applications/XDarwin, and /etc/X11?
Or would that cause chaos?

Thanks for reading this far...
--Michael