Hi,
I'll try and wrap up the situation with octave/octave-forge:

Presently, installing octave via fink will give you octave-2.1.35 compiled with gcc2.95.
The octave-forge package I submitted to the tracker some time ago should work if you make sure that the gcc2 flag is set (I don't know the exact details on that). If you want to do it manually, have a look at the info file.
If octave fails to build dynamically loadable .oct-files it is probably because of configure erroneously deciding that gcc doesn't prepend an undercore to symbols. In that case it should be fixed in the octave info/patch file.

Octave has gone through a lot of internal changes lately but now also know of darwin/OS X. The port is not complete, but it hopefully will be in the not-too-distant future. If you'd like to experiment, get tarball 2.1.38 from
ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge/octave-2.1.38.tar.gz ,
which should compile with gcc3/10.2 more or less as-is, and play with it. If you do, please provide feedback to me and the maintainer of the octave package. (BTW, this is the last version that requires dlcompat)

As for octave-forge, I've just joined the team and I'll set up a Mac OS X section there. The quality will of course depend on user feedback and contributions, so please grab the sources and play with them and send feedback to me and/or the octave-forge lists.

Two points deserves mentioning:
1) If you don't need to build .oct-files, octave 2.1.39 or CVS HEAD should work just fine. Just ./configure + make will do.
(Large parts of octave-forge are just simple .m scripts anyway)
2) there is a known(?) bug in 10.2 that causes binary reads using fread to fail to read the last piece of data.

As to Rolands question on compiling etc., see:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Darwin/PortingUNIX/index.html

To anyone using octave/octave-forge:
Please help out! The octave/octave-forge core developers are very supportative towards OS X but we do need more people to help out!!!
You don't have to be gurus to help, just testing and providing feedback is a great help, writing a how-to from your own experiences are also appreciated.

OK, I hope this has been somewhat helpful...

/Per