On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 07:24  PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 07:47 , Andrew Hartung wrote:

Is there a way to search the short package description that is shown when you do a fink list? Sometimes I want a specific type of program, let's say a newsreader, but it is tedious looking through the list trying to find all of them.
Try "fink apropos"; e.g.:

$ fink apropos news
Information about 1449 packages read in 1 seconds.

gnewspost 0.6-1 GUI for newspost USENET binary poster.
nget 0.21-1 Downloader for binary news postings
pan 0.13.0-1 Graphical newsreader
slrn 0.9.7.2-1 NNTP / spool based newsreader

Thank you, that does just what I want. Sometimes unix is deceptively easy.