I'm not a member of the development team, but I think your complaint is totally pointless. If you CRITICALLY rely on softwares developed and distributed in forms like the fink environment, you just need to be more cautious and careful in updating, don't you? For example, you could, and still can, back up all the crucial stuff in /sw, /usr/X11R6 and then try a fresh install to see if things work fine. For any kind of OS, version X.0.0 is very unstable.

My point is this -- if you don't want to run a risk, I would like to suggest that you *resist* against your update fever. Don't confuse getting updated with get more reliability, especially on *major* release. Actually, it is usually CONTRADICTORY to get updated and get a stable release.

Kow