I'm currently running perl-5.8 and fink-0.5.0a with no trouble at all.

First, I followed the instructions on the page "Installing Perl 5.8 on
Jaguar" at:

    http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html and

...and totally replaced my existing Perl installation (moved
/System/Library/Perl and /Library/Perl, then configure'd perl with the
"-Dprefix=/usr" option).

Next, I built fink-0.5.0a from scratch by moving my e my /sw/, /usr/X11R6 and
/etc/X11 directories to /tmp, then following the Installation Fast Track
instructions at:

    http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/bundled/install-fast.php

I've been using perl-5.8 successfully since Thanksgiving and just
upgraded to the latest fink yesterday (23-Dec-2002). So far, no problems
-- everything is working well.

I did, however, try simply to upgrade both Fink and Perl instead of
fully replacing them. I received warnings about missing symbols when
trying to use either of them so I figured the best bet would be to
rebuild both from scratch.

--
Ian L.