I upgraded to OS 10.2 on December 9th, so I decided to install a new
fink installation rather than upgrade. I started with a clean disk and installed
jaguar and the developer tools. I used the bootstrap advice and
installed fink 5.01a and performed the fink selfupdate-cvs command. I
then installed some extra packages. I do not remember whether I
installed any binaries or just installed source files from the cvs
repository. Whatever I did, everything went okay.

Then my hard disk crashed, and I had to buy a new hard disk.
Fortunately, I had my old hard disk backed up, so I did not loose any
important files or any of my source code. I reinstalled jaguar and the
developer tools and bootstrapped fink successfully again. Then I tried
to install about 160 binary packages using dselect, and quite a few
were installed successfully. However, about 50 files would not install
due to some files coming before their dependencies. So, I went
through and tried to remove all but the basic files (of the 50 that had
not been installed or configured correctly) upon which all the others
depended. However, I could not remove or purge any of the files in
question with dselect or apt-get!!!

I have several questions:

1) Should I have skipped the binaries and just tried to install the
source files from the stable and unstable trees using fink? The more I
think about it, I wonder if I should not have just used fink and not
dselect and apt-get.

2) Is there any way I can fix this mess? Or should I just erase fink,
X11R6, and X11 and start over again?

Here is a list of the files I could not install or configure:

gawk
wget-ssl
mysql
diffutils
orbit
gconf-shlibs
readline
guile
libtool
gtk+
texinfo
gnuplot
bonobo-shlibs
fileutils
libxml-shlibs
imlib-shlibs
gnome-libs-shlibs
dbd-mysql-pm
vim
gtkglarea
ethereal-ssl
gnome-vfs-ssl-shlibs
imlib
gnome-vfs-ssl
oaf-shlibs
oaf
bonobo
control-center-shlibs
librep-shlibs
gnome-libs
libxml
gtkhtml-shlibs
libglade-shlibs
libglade
gtkhtml
librep
control-center
gdk-pixbuf-shlibs
glibwww-shlibs
gnome-core-shlibs
gnome-core
gnome-print-shlibs
scrollkeeper
gdk-pixbuf
glibwww
gnome-print
xchat-ssl

dpkg --configure returned error exit status 1.

Here is what happened when I tried to remove some and install the
others. Same thing happened whether I used dselect or apt-get. I had
similar results even when I put some on hold and just tried to install
a few such as readline.

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
bonobo bonobo-shlibs control-center control-center-shlibs
dbd-mysql-pm ethereal-ssl gconf gconf-shlibs
gdk-pixbuf glibwww glibwww-shlibs gnome-core gnome-core-shlibs
gnome-print gnome-print-shlibs gnome-vfs-ssl
gnome-vfs-ssl-shlibs gnuplot gtkglarea gtkhtml gtkhtml-shlibs
libglade librep* mysql* oaf scrollkeeper vim
xchat-ssl
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 28 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
48 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 27786 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xchat-ssl ...
Removing gnome-core ...
Removing gnome-core-shlibs ...
Removing gtkhtml ...
Removing gtkhtml-shlibs ...
Removing bonobo ...
Removing bonobo-shlibs ...
Removing control-center ...
Removing control-center-shlibs ...
Removing dbd-mysql-pm ...
Removing ethereal-ssl ...
Removing gnome-vfs-ssl ...
dpkg - warning: while removing gnome-vfs-ssl, directory
`/sw/etc/vfs/modules' not empty so not removed.
dpkg - warning: while removing gnome-vfs-ssl, directory `/sw/etc/vfs'
not empty so not removed.
Removing gnome-vfs-ssl-shlibs ...
Removing gconf ...
Removing gconf-shlibs ...
Removing gnome-print ...
Removing gnome-print-shlibs ...
Removing gdk-pixbuf ...
Removing glibwww ...
Removing glibwww-shlibs ...
Removing gnuplot ...
Removing gtkglarea ...
Removing libglade ...
(Reading database ... 25133 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing librep ...
Removing mysql ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing mysql (--purge):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
mysql
E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall
again
Press enter to continue.

Setting up gawk (3.1.0-3) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing gawk (--configure):
Setting up wget-ssl (1.8.2-1) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing wget-ssl (--configure):
Setting up diffutils (2.8.1-1) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing diffutils (--configure):
Setting up orbit (0.5.17-2) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing orbit (--configure):
Setting up readline (4.3-5) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing readline (--configure):
Setting up guile (1.4-6) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing guile (--configure):
Setting up libtool (1.3.5-11) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing libtool (--configure):
Setting up gtk+ (1.2.10-13) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing gtk+ (--configure):
Setting up texinfo (4.2-2) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing texinfo (--configure):
Setting up fileutils (4.1-3) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--infodir=/sw/share/info'
Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing fileutils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libxml-shlibs:
libxml-shlibs depends on readline; however:
Package readline is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libxml-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of imlib-shlibs:
imlib-shlibs depends on gtk+; however:
Package gtk+ is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing imlib-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-libs-shlibs:
gnome-libs-shlibs depends on orbit (>= 0.5.12); however:
Package orbit is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-libs-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of imlib:
imlib depends on imlib-shlibs (= 1.9.10-9); however:
Package imlib-shlibs is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing imlib (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of oaf-shlibs:
oaf-shlibs depends on orbit (>= 0.5.8); however:
Package orbit is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing oaf-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of librep-shlibs:
librep-shlibs depends on texinfo; however:
Package texinfo is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing librep-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-libs:
gnome-libs depends on gnome-libs-shlibs (= 1.4.2-1); however:
Package gnome-libs-shlibs is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-libs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libxml:
libxml depends on libxml-shlibs (= 1.8.17-2); however:
Package libxml-shlibs is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libxml (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libglade-shlibs:
libglade-shlibs depends on gnome-libs; however:
Package gnome-libs is not configured yet.
libglade-shlibs depends on libxml; however:
Package libxml is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libglade-shlibs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gdk-pixbuf-shlibs:
gdk-pixbuf-shlibs depends on gnome-libs; however:
Package gnome-libs is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gdk-pixbuf-shlibs (--configure):
gawk
wget-ssl
diffutils
orbit
readline
guile
libtool
gtk+
texinfo
fileutils
libxml-shlibs
imlib-shlibs
gnome-libs-shlibs
imlib
oaf-shlibs
librep-shlibs
gnome-libs
libxml
libglade-shlibs
gdk-pixbuf-shlibs

installation script returned error exit status 100.

I don't need a detailed analysis, just some quick advice. I appreciate
any help you can give me. Thank you for your help.

Gary K. Olson, P.E.