I'm having trouble getting minicom 2.00.0 to behave, under 10.2.3. It runs (only as root, or with "-o" to avoid permission problems in locking), but never sends anything down the wire.

C-A shows the status line, which says "offline" in the lower-right corner. I'm just trying to use this as a replacement for tip(1) (which Apple unaccountably forgot, though the man page for remote(5) was still there in 10.1 [1]). I don't want to _dial_ anything, I just want to talk to the serial port (a Keyspan USB device at /dev/cu.USA19113P1.1). It displays things that come in, but won't transmit. Is there a way to tell it the equivalent of "tip hardwire" on a Sun, i.e. no modem and just get on with it?

I can't test minicom independently of the Keyspan driver, because tip(1) is missing. Rrrrrrr! (Update: "echo foo > /dev/cu.USA*" used to hang, but an updated Keyspan driver fixes that. Still no joy from minicom.)

--

[1] I've talked to a few people at Apple about this. They all say, quote, "Huh?" No wonder they forgot to port it. But _some_one cleaned out remote(5). I have to go over there and clue them (and bribe them with lunch) one day soon. Minicom is such an ugly mess, when all I want is to use my Powerbook as a dumb terminal. To connect to the serial console of an XServe, say, or numerous other such devices. This should not be hard! Harrumph!