On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 10:17  PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

No. I would be against installing it by default. It seems you have to take time to learn how to configure it or clean it up from time to time or whatever. I had a bad experience where every compilation slowed down to a crawl because of ccache, so I had to remove it.

Any configuration is absolutely worth it. The time spent "figuring out" (whats to figure out?) ccache is made up 200% fold in time saved rebuilding packages. . (Just make sure to limit the cache size, or clear out ~/.ccache every now and then if you want)

Mostly useful for package maintainers, IMO, who need to rebuild identical packages more often than normal users.

-Ben