Stephan Jaeger wrote:
Hiya,

I just wonder if someone out there is using the fink version of rsync?
There is not much difference (except the version number) between the fink version and the one in /usr/bin. No resource fork support.

The reason why I ask is that on opendarwin.org there is a project called "rsync-hfs" and I would like to know where the difference between these two versions is (if there is any...).
I haven't looked recently, but there used to be a rsync-hfs project since a long time at http://www.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx. I guess this is what is now housed at opendarwin.org. There was even a Fink rsync-hfs package for a while. The problem was that it didn't work except in very special situations, namely between MacOSX machines on both sides with rsync-hfs installed on both sides, and you risked serious file damage in general. It replaced the rsync in /usr/bin without being compatible with it. It also was not open about its relation with the "standard" rsync.

If this hasn't changed, it is not up to Fink's quality standards.

I want to use rsync to synchronize my iBook with my Desktop Powermac, but I am afraid of data loss (who isn't? :-)...
There are, of course, several OSX applications capable of doing this quite comfortably, for example the open source freeware Synk.

--
Martin