On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 09:14  AM, KaOs wrote:
I wonder if Apple will make it impossible for Fink to continue to develop
as it has by the introduction of developer tool changes. The reason I ask
this is that the EULA forbids the "patching" of add-ons to the "embedded"
Mac apps for OS X. Apple is, in other words, giving independent developers
a hard time. They support OpenDarwin, but they do not even mention Fink as
an alternative. It seems to me that there is little, if any, cooperation
of Apple to the Fink Project. The recent "upgrade" that put the Fink
project on hold for months eloquently demonstrates that.., as does the
recent choice of an inferior browser as "default".
So I would like to know what is the reality of the Fink situation in
relation to Apple......, and should I begin thinking of a complete Debian
PPC Woody "take-over" install on my hard drive?

Chaos is freedom!
Realize that Apple did this for the opposite reason...

X11 on Mac OS X was being crippled by a bully in the marketplace: TENON.

Your assumption about Apple's motives would be correct in most instances
but this one because Apple's motive was to destroy Tenon's illegal hegemony.
Apple's corporate customers were fleeing because Tenon was illegally preventing
the free release of XFree86 with Hardware OpenGL support on Mac OS X.

Apple's motives in releasing X11 was to stop the hemorrhaging.

Apple has no interest in X11 because they're following the NeXT philosophy
of using their own window server to serve their own kind of programs.
X11 is the window server every other flavor of UNIX uses to serve programs.

Apple hacked NeXT's window server to broaden its horizons beyond Cocoa
to serve windows for Carbon, Java, and the Classic compatibility layer.

X11 on Mac OS X began as a hobby-like interest in the possibilities of OS X
that Tenon illegally hijacked with criminal racketeering so they could profit.

Nobody knows what means Tenon used to force XonX to keep HW OpenGL from XFree86
but Apple invalidated the scheme by releasing it for free.

It wouldn't be a big deal if HW OpenGL support in XFree86
was payware on any other platform... but it's free everywhere else.
Now it's free on Mac OS X and Tenon can go back under a rock for all we care.

lenny bruce I am not a comedian,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] I am Lenny Bruce.