It looks like you're missing something on your Dev Tools install, since
/usr/bin/cvs can't be found, and that's what installs it.

For XDarwin, check and see if you actually have /usr/X11R6/bin on your
system, and not just /Application/XDarwin.app

Otherwise, run /Applications/Utilities/Console.app so that you can see the
error messages.

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Jamey Osborne wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm hoping the Fink community might be able to help me out....  I've read
> the docs, read the FAQ, searched the archives and spent most of this weekend
> trying to solve my problems on my own to no avail.  I need some good advice.
>
> Fink was working perfectly on my PowerBook G4 after I upgraded to 10.2
> (upgraded to 10.2.3 build 6G30).  At the time, I had to use the cvs tree
> because that was the only way to get Fink working at the time.  My primary
> use for Fink was the mysql port (before the binaries became widely
> distributed elsewhere) and the X11 server.  KDE 3.1 and Gnome were working
> wonderfully.
>
> To make a long story short, I had to reinstall Jaguar.  After the reinstall,
> Xdarwin crashes on startup and NOTHING I do can start mysqld.  I'm not a
> UNIX ubergeek, but I'm not a rookie either.  I've installed mysql on dozens
> of machines.
>
> I can't run fink selfupdate nor fink selfupdate-cvs successfully.  Dselect
> seems to be working normally though.  Here's a typical sequence (December
> 2002 Developer Tools installed):
>
> ===================
>
> Last login: Sun Feb  9 17:24:45 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> [Jameys-TiBook-G4:~] jamey% fink --version
> Package manager version: 0.11.1
> Distribution version: 0.5.0a.cvs
> [Jameys-TiBook-G4:~] jamey% fink selfupdate
> sudo /sw/bin/fink  selfupdate
> Password:
>
> Your Fink installation is set up to update package descriptions directly
> from
> CVS. Do you want to use this setup and update now? [Y/n] n
> [Jameys-TiBook-G4:~] jamey% fink selfupdate
> sudo /sw/bin/fink  selfupdate
>
> Your Fink installation is set up to update package descriptions directly
> from
> CVS. Do you want to use this setup and update now? [Y/n] y
>
> I will now run the cvs command to retrieve the latest package descriptions.
> The 'su' command will be used to run the cvs command as the user 'jamey'.
> After that, the core packages will be updated right away; you should then
> update the other packages using commands like 'fink update-all'.
>
> su jamey -c 'cvs -z3 update -d -P'
> cvs: Command not found.
> ### execution of su failed, exit code 1
> Failed: Updating using CVS failed. Check the error messages above.
> [Jameys-TiBook-G4:~] jamey% fink selfupdate-cvs
> sudo /sw/bin/fink  selfupdate-cvs
>
> I will now run the cvs command to retrieve the latest package descriptions.
> The 'su' command will be used to run the cvs command as the user 'jamey'.
> After that, the core packages will be updated right away; you should then
> update the other packages using commands like 'fink update-all'.
>
> su jamey -c 'cvs -z3 update -d -P'
> cvs: Command not found.
> ### execution of su failed, exit code 1
> Failed: Updating using CVS failed. Check the error messages above.
> [...]

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213