Hey April,
     I also am having problems using KDE.  Although I am using Apple's X11 instead of XDarwin.  I followed the instructions for installing X11 with fink, and then also used fink-commander to install KDE.  When I launched Apple's X11 and typed /sw/bin/startkde, kde began to start up, and the splash screen displayed.  The two buttons blinked and then became solid, but when the third started, which I believed was initializing peripherals, or something of that sort, the computer completely froze up, and required a hard-restart.  This doesn't sound like the same problem, but letting ya know yer not alone with KDE probs :)

~Sanjay C.