It looks like the problem is in perlmod/Fink/NetAccess.pm (at least for
what I bootstrapped from):

[ldx3:fink-0.11.0/perlmod/Fink] hansen% cat NetAccess.pm | grep curl
  # check if we have curl
  if (-x "$basepath/bin/curl" or -x "/usr/bin/curl") {
    $cmd = "curl -f -L";
  # if we would prefer wget (or didn't have curl available), check for
wget
  # if we would prefer axel (or didn't have curl or wget available),
check for axel
    die "Can't locate a download program. Install either curl, wget, or
axel.\n"

You could try creating a symbolic link to your curl (or wget) in
/usr/bin.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University