Yes, the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH contained /usr/X11R6/lib. And yes, the 'display' command worked after I removed a line in .cshrc which previously set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks.

Gon

Do you have the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set?
(Try "setenv | grep DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH" if you are running tcsh.)
My guess is that it is set to /usr/X11R6/lib, which is causing dyld to
look for the library there rather than in the place specified in
/sw/bin/display itself.

-- Dave